A list of all the playable characters in the Mario Kart series means they're playable, means they don't appear in the game and means their appearance in the game is currently unconfirmed (as the game in question is upcoming) and is yet to be announced. The footnote variables follow underneath the table.
List of Characters
- Planned but cut.
- Appear as a boss only.
- Gold Mario is currently only playable in Gold Rush mode.
- In Wii version there's 2 available outfits, referred to as Mii Outfit A and Mii Outfit B.
- Amiibo can be used to unloick alternate costumes
- Only playable in Download Play mode.
- Shy Guy Alternate colors: Black, Blue, Green, Light Blue, Pink, White, Yellow (DS, 7, 8, 8DX), No Textured (possible Grey) (DS), Orange (8, 8DX).
- Villager Girl is a pallet swap for Villager Boy in Mario Kart 8, but gets her own slot on the roster in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Yoshi alternate colors: Light Blue, Yellow (GPDX, 8, 8DX, Super circuit in GBA Download Play mode); Light Blue (8, 8DX, Super circuit in GBA Download Play mode); Black (GPDX, 8, 8DX); Blue, Orange, Pink, White (8, 8DX).
- Final count Includes the exclusive characters from the Bandai Namco Arcade Games (Arcade Characters Listed Below).
Bandai Namco Games Exclusive Characters
Characters that only appeared in the Bandai Namco Mario Kart Arcade games.
|Character||Mario Kart Arcade GP||Mario Kart Arcade GP 2||Mario Kart Arcade GP DX|
|Hero Don-Chan (Knight Don-Chan)|
|Super Mario Kart||8||N/A||N/A||N/A||8||N/A||N/A|
|Mario Kart 64||2||6||N/A||N/A||8||N/A||Wario replaces Koopa Troopa, while Donkey Kong replaces Donkey Kong Jr.|
Magikoopa (or Kamek) was in the pre-release, Super Mario Kart R, prior to Nintendo licensing DK's 3D model from Rare.
|Mario Kart: Super Circuit||0||8||N/A||N/A||8||3||All the characters from Mario Kart 64 return.|
Single-Pak Play mode adds up to three Yoshi colors variants.
|Mario Kart: Double Dash!!||11||9||N/A||N/A||20||N/A||
All the characters from Mario Kart 64 return.
|Mario Kart DS||3||10||N/A||N/A||13||7||All characters from Mario Kart 64 return.|
They form the initial roster. Unlockable: Daisy and Waluigi from Double Dash!!, new Dry Bones and exclusive R.O.B.
Shy Guy is exclusive to DS Download Play, in eight colors.
|Mario Kart Wii||5 (exluding Mii Outfits)||19||N/A||N/A||26||N/A||All characters from Mario Kart 64 return.|
11 from other games (9 from Double Dash!!, Dry Bones from DS and Koopa Troopa from Super) also return.
Wii adds 7 new unlockables: 5 characters and 2 Mii outfits.
|Mario Kart 7||4||13||N/A||N/A||17||N/A||All characters from Mario Kart 64 return.|
7 is the only game with Wario initially locked, being replaced by Koopa Troopa in the initial roster. Additionally, the starting roster is identical to Super Mario Kart’s roster with Donkey Kong in Donkey Kong Jr.'s place.
|Mario Kart 8||9||21||5||1||37||16||All the characters from Mario Kart 64 return.|
37 characters total are in this game with both DLC packs.
|Mario Kart 8 Deluxe||11||33||N/A||N/A||43||20||All the characters from Mario Kart 64 return.|
Two new Inklings characters from Splatoon, plus all DLC characters from Mario Kart 8, are now included in 8 Deluxe.
Gold Mario, Metal Mario variant, is the sole new unlockable. Female Villager has her own slot.
|Mario Kart Tour||5||33||N/A||N/A||38||N/A||Since the game is a mobile game which will be supported for a long time, we could expect to see more characters coming. The only currently known upcoming character is Pastry Chef Shy Guy.|