The Green Shell, the classic attack Item in Mario Kart, made its debut appearance in Super Mario Kart, and since then, it has came back as an Item in every Mario Kart game, even the arcade games Mario Kart Arcade GP, Mario Kart Arcade GP 2, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. It is one of the two most common items in Mario Kart history.
Triple Green Shells, first introduced in Mario Kart 64, have the same effect, however, there is three of them and they also rotate around the kart. In Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, Triple Green Shells (and Triple Red Shells) are the Special Item of Koopa Troopa and Paratroopa. Petey Piranha and King Boo can use three Shells, too.
The Green Shell is mainly used for as a basic offensive Item. A racer can throw them in front of them at an opponent, and it will speed through the track in a straight line until:
- A-It collides with other driver, in which it will knock them over. They disintegrate instantly upon impact.
- B-It ricochets off the walls five times, the fifth one destroying it (In Mario Kart 64, it can bounce an unlimited number of times.). This makes them especially dangerous in tight spaces.
- or C-It falls off the course.
Green Shells can also be held behind a Kart to act as a defensive Item against other enemy Green Shells or the more powerful, homing Red Shell. They can also be shot backwards, acting the same way as they do when they are launched forward. This technique is also great to take out racers who are attempting Drafting.
The Green Shell is also included in a Lucky 7 Item in Mario Kart 7 as one of the seven usable Items circling around the racer. It has the same effect as a regular Green Shell, and can be used when it is in front of the Kart, or simply to ram into an opponent racer to knock them over.
In Mario Kart 8, the Green Shell is now an Item member of a Crazy 8 Item. Once again, it's one of the Items, now eight of them, as the name implies, spinning around the driver and can be deployed when it is in front of the racer, or crashing into another driver.
- When you set the items to shells only in Mario Kart 7, there is a small chance to get a Lucky Seven, which gives you seven red or green shells surrounding your kart.
- The Green Shell is one of six items that has consistently been in every Mario Kart game, the other five being the Red Shell, Banana, Mushroom, Star, and Lightning.