Items are used as power-ups in Mario Kart games. Some are meant to benefit the user, attack other racers, or both.
Items obtained are different from place to place up until Mario Kart 8, where items are now determined by how far you are from the leader.
Standard items are those that are featured in most or all games. (In brackets are special notes about game absences or exclusiveness.) [In square brackets are the places you can get them in MK64 - if anyone has a MK7 sheet, replace this with the MK7 values.]:
- Banana [1st]
- Multi Banana (absent from Super and Super Circuit; 5 in 64, 3 in all other games) [1st-2nd]
- Coin (absent from 64, Double Dash!! DS, and Wii; Also, only Super and 8 features the item in an Item Box)
- Fake Item Box (absent from Super, Super Circuit, 7, 8 and 8 Deluxe) [1st-2nd]
- Mushroom [1st-5th]
- Starman [2nd-12th]
- Lightning [2nd-12th]
- Boo/Ghost (absent from Double Dash!!, Wii, 7, and 8) [1st-2nd]
This chart represents what items have been in the 5 newest games.
*The Coin was an item in MK7, but you could not get it from item boxes.
**Boo was not an item in MK8, but it was an item in MK8D.
Double Dash!! Special Items
- Red Fireballs/Green Fireballs
- Yoshi Egg/Birdo Egg
- Giant Banana
- Bowser Shell
- Chain Chomp
- Triple Red Shells/Triple Green Shells
- Golden Mushroom