Mario Kart Arcade GP VR (マリオカート ア-ケ-ドグランプリ Mariokāto ākēdoguranpuri) is the newest addition to the Mario Kart arcade series, as well as the latest game in the entire series up to date. The revolutionary title allows players to enter the Mario Kart world through virtual reality and experience the shell-throwing and Mushroom-boosting course.
It was released on July 14, 2017, a few months after Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in Japan, but a year and 20 days later, the United Kingdom got the game in Arcade cabinets.
Like previous Mario Kart Arcade GP titles, players sit inside an actual, physical, kart-designed arcade cabinet (this one is much more updated to look like a Standard Kart, is primarily shaded gray, and has the racer's logo on the front.) Instead of watching a screen, however, players wear a special headset and headphones that trick the senses into believing the reality of the Mario Kart world.
Players use a steering wheel to control their vehicle, and instead of crashing Item Boxes to procure an Item, there are now green, red, and yellow Balloons to receive one. One of the coolest features is USING the Items... you can make a throwing motion with your hand to use them.
Gliders also return and are used in much the same way as they were in the previous arcade title.
- Unknown track divided into five sections:
- Standard Kart
- Unknown yellow vehicle with yellow horns.
- Unknown wooden vehicle with Dry Bowser skulls.
- The Japanese name for this game translates to Mario Kart Arcade Grand Prix in English.
- Mario Kart Arcade GP VR is so far the only Mario Kart game where Bowser and Toad are not playable racers. Bowser is a CPU, while Toad is simply not there, making Mario, Luigi, Peach and Yoshi the only four characters to be playable in every Mario Kart game.
|Mario Kart games|
|Main Titles||Super Mario Kart (1992, SNES) • Mario Kart 64 (1996, N64) • Mario Kart: Super Circuit (2001, GBA) • Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (2003, GameCube) • Mario Kart DS (2005, DS) • Mario Kart Wii (2008, Wii) • Mario Kart 7 (2011, 3DS) • Mario Kart 8 (2014, Wii U) • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (2017, Switch)|
|Arcade Titles||Mario Kart Arcade GP (2005) • Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 (2007) • Mario Kart Arcade GP DX (2013) • Mario Kart Arcade GP VR (2017)|