Mario Kart Tour (マリオ カート ツアー) is an upcoming title in the Mario Kart series. It will be the second Mario game released for mobile operating systems, after Super Mario Run. It was announced on January 31, 2018 and it will be released by March 2019 in Japan, Oceania, Asia, North America, and Europe.
While the game will be designed for mobile devices, much like the game's predecessors on Nintendo handhelds (Super Circuit, DS and 7 on dedicated handhelds, and 8 Deluxe on the hybrid Nintendo Switch), it is also expected to support tablets and even computers with a compatible mobile OS.
Nintendo announced Mario Kart Tour via Twitter on January 31, 2018. Other than this release date and a logo, nothing else about the mobile game was released, so we'll just have to wait and see.
Here are some of the announcements:
The Happy Meal at Mcdonald's Canada will include Super Mario toys in the summer of 2018. It is unknown whether or not this is related to Mario Kart Tour.
No racers have been announced so far for Mario Kart Tour. However, it is anticipated to feature at least some characters available in Super Mario Run: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Yoshi, Toad and Toadette. Most of these are recurring characters in the Mario Kart series.
Tracks and courses
No tracks and courses have been announced so far for Mario Kart Tour. Based on the unlocking criteria of Super Mario Run, however, it is anticipated that Tour will only offer a few tracks and courses for free, while a purchase of the full game will allow access to all content.
- It's unknown as of right now whether this will be a main series Mario Kart or a spinoff game.
- Not including the arcade games, this will be the 10th title, and including the arcade games, it will be the 15th.
- Mario Kart Tour will be designed for non-Nintendo devices, and as with Super Mario Run, it can be expected to have significant differences compared to releases for dedicated gaming consoles. Anticipated but unconfirmed features include:
- A free version with limited content, and a full version with all content
- Nintendo Network support
- In-game currency
- Friend lists
- Mario Kart Tour is the ninth release of Mario Kart as consumer software, but as it omits the number 9 in its name, it could indicate that Nintendo distinguishes it from the main Mario Kart series.
- This is technically the fifth handheld game of the franchise after Super Circuit, DS, 7, and 8 Deluxe.
- Mario Kart Tour will be the first Mario Kart game to have a portion of it playable for free.