Mirror Mode is an unlockable engine class in Mario Kart 64 and every iteration of Mario Kart since Double Dash!! It is an unlockable mode that varies in description and play experience per game. Beating it is usually vital to acquire all unlockables in the game, as the rewards for some of these cups include high-end bikes, karts, parts, or characters. They also use rubber-banding AI.
Mirror Mode makes its debut in 64, here known as the "Extra" mode. In both of these modes, courses were flipped horizontally: left turns became right turns, and vice versa. 64 also changed Toad's Turnpike by having non-playable vehicles driving in the reverse direction. This made for a challenge compared to the other cups alongside its already advanced 150cc engine setting.
Mario Kart: Double Dash!! also planned to include a Reverse Cup, where drivers would race in the opposite direction compared to regular cups. However, this feature was absent from the final release and was presumably replaced with Mirror Mode.
The unlock criteria for Mirror Mode differs from game to game:
- In Double Dash!!, players unlock Mirror Mode by successfully completing the 150cc All Cup Tour.
- In DS, players unlock Mirror Mode by getting getting 1st place in the 150cc Lightning Cup.
- In Wii, players unlock Mirror Mode by getting gold trophies in all 150cc cups.
- In 7, players unlock Mirror Mode by getting gold trophies in all cups on the 150cc class.
- In 8, players could unlock Mirror Mode by getting gold trophies in 150cc. Following the Version 4.1 update released on May 1, 2015, though, Mirror Mode is now available by default.
- In 8 Deluxe, Mirror Mode is available from default in all versions.