Star redirects here. If you were looking for the type of ranking, see Star Rank.
When used, the Starman makes the user invincible to all attacks and grants them the ability to knock over items, course obstacles, and any driver that they come in contact with.
Not only does the Star make the user invincible, it increases their speed by 1/3 and can go off-road without slowing down. (Except in both Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart: Super Circuit, where the Star doubles the user's speed). The Star's duration varies depending on the game.
In games such as Mario Kart DS Stars can be obtained in specially-placed Item Boxes. Regardless of what place the player is in, they may receive a Star, Triple Mushroom, a single Mushroom, or a Red Shell. This also applies to the Mario Kart Wii battle stage Chain Chomp Wheel, only with the Red Shell and Triple Mushrooms absent.
The item also serves as the emblem for the Star Cup in all Mario Kart installments thus far.
- If you collide with the boat in DK's Jungle Parkway in Mario Kart 64 while you have a Star, you will still get hit before plunging into the water. This also applies to the Boo item.
- Colliding with the obstacles can send any obstacles flying or having an abnormal effect. Penguins will be spun out temporarily, delaying the process of getting in the way of racers. Thwomp will be destroyed and respawn after a minute. Yoshi's giant egg will be temporarily send flying.
- Some obstacles will be permanently removed such as Piranha Plants, Giant Billboard at Mario Circuit, and Trees and bushes at any tracks.
- This item lasts the longest amount of time in Mario Kart 64 (effect remains about a second after the blinking stops) and lasts the shortest amount of time in Mario Kart: Super Circuit (the song barely starts its third repetition).
- On a rare occasion at Mario Kart 64, you may get a Star when you are at the 2nd place. This condition only happens if you got a hard time to catch up with the 1st place that needs more than just a Red Shell or Spiny Shell to stop them from extending the distances.
- They can hit anything out of your way and defend from anything, even Spiny Shells.
- If you hit a Bullet Bill with a Star, the Bullet Bill will be pushed aside.
- In Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart 7, an item box in DK Pass will always give you a Star, Mushroom or Triple Mushroom.
- In Mario Kart Wii, the Mega Mushroom item tries to emulate the Starman, but it doesn't protect you from Bullet Bills and Starman racers.
- The Star is used as the logo for the Star Cup, which is named after the item.
- It's rare, but when you hit a leaf pile in Mario Kart Wii, you can get a star.
- It may be a reference to the Warp Star in the Kirby series of games, an item which, when swallowed by Kirby, causes him to become incredibly powerful. It is also an item in the Super Smash Bros. series.
- The Starman is a good smuggling item, according to Mario Kart YouTuber, Mankalor.
- If you get hit by another star while using a star, it will simply just bump you a little bit (just like if you bump into another player with no item).
- In Mario Kart Tour, this item is activated when getting a Frenzy.
- This is one of the few items which appears in every Mario Kart game along with Mushrooms, and various shells
- In Mario Kart DS They will do a dance while using a star