The Thunder Cloud (also known as a Lightning Cloud or TC, and originally known as Thundercloud) is an Item in the Mario Kart series that originated in Mario Kart Arcade GP, Mario Kart Arcade GP 2, Mario Kart Wii, and Mario Kart Arcade GP DX. It is similar in function to the Time Bomb, but it shrinks opponents rather than exploding.
In Mario Kart Wii, unlike the other items, the Thunder Cloud activates when it is obtained from an Item Box and cannot be thrown unlike its appearance in the arcade games. This item makes a buzzer sound when it is obtained, which is not heard from any other items. Players in 3rd to 7th place can get this item, but in VS Races, they can also obtain it in 8th place.
When the Thunder Cloud is obtained, it appears over the holder's head and they get a constant boost of speed. They will also not lose any speed when on off-road terrain. Though after ten seconds, the Thunder Cloud will strike and shrink the holder, having the same effects as the Lightning. The Thunder Cloud itself, however, can be passed to another racer before the current holder is struck with lightning, encouraging daredevils hold onto the Thunder Cloud for a long while before they pass the item to another player. It can be destroyed if the player rides a cannon, falls of the track, uses a Super Star, a Mega Mushroom, or a Bullet Bill.
Probabilities of Obtaining the Item
Mario Kart Wii
- The Thunder Cloud and the Triple Bananas are the only two Mario Kart Arcade GP series items to appear in the mainline Mario Kart series.
- Due to the one-of-a-kind nature of the Thunder Cloud, glitches have arisen based on it. Hackers may forcefully spawn multiple Thunder Clouds and pass them onto different players; the previous Cloud spawned in this manner will disappear, but players afflicted will remain boosted for the entirety of the race.
- The clouds zip sound gets faster as it gets closer to striking.
- This is the one item in Mario Kart history that activates immediately instead of when you press the button. A buzzer plays when you get it instead of the normal jingle.
- This is the only item in the entire Mario Kart series you can't drop.
Names In Other Languages
- Japanese: 雷クラウド (Kaminari Kuraudo)
- Spanish: Nube de trueno
- French: Nuage Tonnerre
- German: Blitzwolke
- Italian: Fulmine Nuvola
- Portuguese: Nuvem Relâmpago
- Korean: 번개 구름 (beongae guleum)
- Chinese (Simplified): 闪电云 (Shǎndiàn yún)
- Chinese (Traditional): 閃電雲 (Shǎndiàn yún)
- Dutch: Bliksemwolk
- Russian: Облако молний (Oblako molniy)
- Polish: Błyskawica Chmura